Did you ever think it was strange how you could see in the deepest, darkest recesses of the Earth without so much as a torch in Minecraft? Sure, it’s easier to see with light, but the fact you can see at all when there’s no light around is kind of lame, according to some players. The Hardcore Darkness mod seeks to remedy this unnatural occurrence by giving real, reactive darkness to Minecraft. If there’s no light around, then things will literally be black – so dark you can’t see a thing, unless of course you turn your brightness setting up to the maximum. But then why would you use this mod?
The overwhelming darkness takes effect above the ground as well, not just while you’re spelunking in random caves or other pits. Now this doesn’t seem quite right, since normally the stars and even the moon would reflect a bit of light on the world, if we’re speaking in terms of reality. The Hardcore Darkness mod makes it impossible to move around at night, whether on the surface or below it, unless you’re carrying a ready supply of torches. The fact hostile mobs are so completely shrouded by that darkness is actually enough to make it kind of scary – and that’s not a bad thing!
In fact, the Hardcore Darkness mod is the perfect complement to a number of custom maps, like Herobrine’s Mansion, which focus on scaring the player through use of environment and ambience. What could be more frightening than a dark corner you know something is hiding in? This is one of those mods which are strangely realistic and sublime at the same time, mostly because of that discrepancy in evening lighting which was mentioned above. Overall, Hardcore Darkness is a great mod which is worth a try whether you’re playing alone or online with friends.
Hardcore Darkness Mod Changelogs
- Added: Options to make the nether (Default true) and the end (Default false) dark.
- Changed: Moved Transformer log to DEBUG.
- Changed: Renamed RemoveBlue to AlternativeNightSkylight.
- Fixed: Night Vision Potion causing a yellow tint in the overworld (Fixing it in the nether & end will take a bit longer)
- Updated to MC 1.11
How to install Hardcore Darkness Mod?
- Download and install the recommended Minecraft Forge for your Minecraft version.
- Download the latest mod version for your Minecraft version.
- Put the .jar file into the mods folder of your Minecraft installation.